Thursday, September 20, 2018

Leonard W. Doob's Public Opinion and Propaganda, 1948, and My Interest In Public Opinion and Propaganda

Leonard W. Doob's Public Opinion and Propaganda, 1948, and My Interest In Public Opinion and Propaganda
Bernard Pyron

A few days ago I found a link on the Internet to a reference in a book by Leonard W. Doob to my 1965 journal article, Accuracy of Interpersonal Perception As A Function of Consistency of Information, Pyron, Bernard, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol 1(2), Feb 1965, 111-117. This was .an experiment within personality-social psychology on how accurate the perceptions of people are when tested. The subjects in that experiment were university of Wisconsin sophomores in introductory psychology classes.
Leonard W. Doob (1909-2000) wrote Public Opinion and Propaganda, New York: Henry Holt and Co. 1948. When I was stationed at Shepherd Air Force Base north of Wichita Falls, Texas in 1952-53 I read Doob's Public Opinion and Propaganda. That book got me interested in the topic of propaganda in forming public opinion, and in social psychology in general. When I got out of the Air Force and went back to college in Austin and later became a grad student in personality-social psychology at Wisconsin I studied experimental personality and social psychology and did some research as a grad student and later in this area. As a researcher in personality-social psychology, I never did get back to my first interest in public opinion and propaganda.

It is interesting that this same Leonard W. Doob mentioned one of my journal article publications on accuracy of interpersonal perception in his 1975 book, Pathways To People. I could not find the book online, and so I do not know what Doob said about my research on interpersonal perception.
Doob, interestingly, also wrote a book with the American poet Ezra Pound, Called Ezra Pound Speaking: Radio Speeches of World War II, 1978. This book fits in with Doob's earlier book, Public Opinion and Propaganda. Doob was a pioneer in cognitive and social psychology, propaganda and public opinion. He served as Director of Overseas Intelligence for the Office of War Information in World War II. He must have been one of the fathers of American experimental social and personality psychology.

No comments:

Post a Comment