Sunday, December 24, 2017

The Little Brothers War, 1950-1953

The Little Brothers War, 1950-1953
Bernard Pyron

When Douglas MacArthur sent 75,000 U. S. troops in a flanking maneuver against North Korean troops in the landing at Inchon in September of 1950 there were many "Little Bothers" - the Korean War generation - in that landing force.

So, the Little Brothers also stormed an enemy beach off of ships at sea like the Great Generation.
I came across your book, In the Shadow of the Greatest Generation, in looking for stuff on the Korean War Generation.  I am interested in that age group, which includes those who served in Korea from 1950 to 1953. 

One thing I was looking for was how many Korean War veterans who served in Korea during the war are still alive.  The statistics you get usually include those who served at that time but not in Korea.
As it turned out in time the guys in the 51st Fighter-Interceptor  Wing at Suwon and the 4th Fighter-Interceptor Wing at Kimpo in South Korea from late 1951 to the fall of 1952 were not in much danger of being killed or injured by enemy bombing at that time.

The Communists were afraid to bomb us at Suwon and Kimpo because they knew we had a large number of B-29s on Okinawa which could wipe out their airfields just north of the Yalu. 
 
But we did not know that for sure in 1951-52.
A few months ago I was trying to bring back some memories of two friends I had in 1952 at Suwon Air Field, who I had gone with to Japan on R and R.

All three of us flew to Itazuke AFB in 1952 and then to Fukuoka on R and R, and once Kenneth Hogan and I went to Kokura, on Kyusku in Japan by way of Itazuke AFB.  I remember Hogan's name but not the name of the other man, who I know for sure was in Air Force Intelligence, and I suspect Hogan was too.

​The Friend From Intelligence Next Door whose name I forgot.

​Sign On the 51st Group Combat Operations Office.  The 51st Intelligence unit was in the same building.
Th
​Me in 1952 by a river in Kokura, Japan - taken by Hiroko Yamada, whose friend was a friend of Kenneth Hogan.  I am wearing an Army uniform which we were allowed in the Air Force to wear then.

The Christian Hero Story Formula Taught Christian Morality to Older Generations 

I am interested in the Korean War age group generation because we were the last generation before the Baby Boomers who had traits that belonged to an older America.  I posted a thread on a Christian forum recently - "The Christian Hero Story Taught Christian Morality To Earlier Generations."  I said that the Korean War Age Group or Generation was the last to be taught some morals by the Christian hero story going back to the King Arthur stories which were later   translated into the hero as a common man, the American Cowboy hero of fiction and reality who is last seen in some films and TV shows in the fifties.  The younger age groups on this forum did not know what I was talking about. I was born in 1931.

We of the Korean War Generation, born from about 1926 to 1933, were  not the children of the World War II Great Generation, but were their younger brothers.  We are like them in many ways and in fact we are the parents of the younger Baby Boomer generation.

I did not take more than two American history courses in undergrad college.  But in 1979 when I wanted to play paddleball in the University of Texas gym on campus they let me take a reading course under Professor of History Tuffly Ellis, who was a follower of Walter Prescott Webb, the more famous native Texan of the University of Texas History Department.  Remember Webb wrote The Great Planes in 1931.

I met personally with professor Ellis once a week and we talked about all kinds of Texas things.  He knew I had a Ph.D. from Wisconsin in experimental psychology.

Later about 12 years ago I became interested in local Texas history - of my home town in SW Bexar county, which is occupied to a large extent by San Antonio.  I have a report on this called "The Road To Home." 

 https://thewaytohome.weebly.com/
 
"



No comments:

Post a Comment